The Cathedral of St. Mary of the Assumption

1111 Gough Street, San Francisco

Completed in 1970, this magnificent structure rises to a height of 189 feet. The entire weight of the great cathedral shell is distributed to the foundation through four piers, each carrying 9,000,000 pounds, and the elaborate concrete work was formed and placed by Cahill crews.

 

The cathedral tower's walls are formed with 1,680 precast concrete coffures. Over the precise panels, 6 inches of concrete were sprayed to create a monolithic hyperbolic paraboloid. Travertine marble covers the exterior, and stained glass windows line the top, form a cross, and descend down the structure on four sides. The building is approached by three larger plazas overlying parking spaces below. Designed by architects McSweeney, Ryan, & Lee (assisted by Pietro Luigi Nervi of Italy), this building has become a recognizable San Francisco landmark.

 

From 1994 to 1999, Cahill returned to the Cathedral to perform roof maintenance and restoration, painting and recarpeting in the conference center, and landscape and site work cleaning.

Copyright © Cahill Contractors LLC | Privacy